We are thrilled to introduce our first-ever HFF Artist Fund: raised by the community, for the community.
We know that artists have been hit hard financially over the course of the pandemic and we want to help. To help offset costs of producing at the Fringe, this year we have replaced our annual festival fundraiser with a campaign that directly benefits you.
The raised funds will be given out in $725 stipends by lottery to artists who apply. The more money raised, the more productions will be funded. The only requirements are that the applicant is local to Los Angeles County and that they perform at an official HFF venue in the 2021 Hollywood Fringe Festival.
With this fundraiser, we believe we can create a pathway for more artists to participate—even with all the challenges we’re still facing from COVID-19. Offsetting the cost for our producers has been a key factor in our planning this year, including this campaign.
A truly important part of this fundraiser is how it weaves together our artists and our venue partners; a connection that is such an integral part of the tapestry of Fringe, and one we are honored to help strengthen and serve.
We hope you give to the campaign. We hope you get funded through the campaign. We hope you share this campaign with friends, family and more.
If we’ve learned anything from this year, it’s that our community doesn’t falter in the face of hardship. We stand together.
Won’t you join us?
Quick facts on this fundraiser, the first of its kind!
How to support:
- Head over to our donor webpage, here. $5-500, any amount gets us closer to our goal of $7,250 (or more! Every $725 raised after $7,250 will add on another stipend).
- Share, share, share—the way we’ll reach our goal is through our combined efforts. Every ask counts—thank you for being a part of that outreach.
Who is eligible for a stipend:
- Any producer local to Los Angeles County planning to work with an official HFF venue in 2021. Applicants do not have to be first-time producers.
- Applicants must participate from an official HFF venue (Registration Type 1).
How to apply:
- Applicants must apply via the Google form during the application period (to be announced via email & on social media May 25). Applicants do not have to be formally registered for the 2021 Fringe at the time of application.
- Applications will be chosen based on lottery selection.
What’s included in each award:
- $550 towards venue/production fees & $175 towards HFF registration.
- Our fundraising period ends on June 8th, 2021 at 11:59pm. Any funds collected before this date will be put towards artist stipends of $725 each.
- Applications will open during the fundraising period on May 25, 2021 and be accepted through June 8th, 2021 at 11:59pm.
- Award winners will be announced publicly by June 21, 2021.
The Hollywood Fringe Staff
Last update 6/18/21*
*Please note this is a living document, subject to change at any time.
Today we announced our pivot to a hybrid model festival! Read all about it here.
HFF21 COVID-19 Safety Pack
How to Fringe safely during a global pandemic
We encourage all participants to honor their own capacities and boundaries. We are still in a worldwide pandemic and while there are reasons to be encouraged and hopeful (vaccines, yay!), COVID-19 is still a risk and has had a profound effect on our lives. It is okay to feel however you feel. It is okay to set boundaries regarding your own re-engagement into the world. It is wise to continue to be cautious. We encourage you to work with those you trust to honor their own limits and yours.
We know that the health situation is rapidly changing/developing and our Festival will make decisions to move forward with audiences if all partners and staff are in a place to support that happening safely. At this time, the Hollywood Fringe is a hybrid festival. This means that you can now host an in-person audience if you perform your show in the Hollywood Fringe Zone, or continue producing virtually from anywhere else.
We will leave these guidelines for Los Angeles County performances for you to reference, but the most recent Los Angeles County Health Order can be found here:
PROTOCOLS TO FOLLOW
Livestream from an official HFF venue (in the Fringe Zone)
Livestream on-site venue protocols will follow these guidelines: Protocol for Music, Television and Film Production:
Livestream rehearsal protocols and other information: Protocol for Live Events and Performances (Indoor Seated):
Livestream from any other location (i.e., from home, a venue outside of the zone, etc.)
Livestream on-site protocols will follow these guidelines: Protocol for Music, Television and Film Production:
Livestream rehearsal protocols and other information: Protocol for Live Events and Performances (Indoor Seated):
COVID-safe, socially distant outdoor theatre
From window display theatre to outdoor COVID-safe immersive work, this category is for those looking to have an audience present in an outdoor setting. This registration type must take place in the Fringe zone and requires proper permitting and an approved safety plan (following city/county guidelines for COVID safety).
This category is for participants who would like to do outdoor performance in a site-specific location in the Hollywood Fringe zone. This will require dialogue between your show and Hollywood Fringe Festival support.
Some helpful resources:
LA County Covid-19 Safety Compliance Certificate Program (free, under 1 hour):
Health Education Services COVID-19 Compliance Officer (C19CO) training—for film sets ($50, 2 hrs):
Health Education Services COVID-19 Compliance for Live Events training ($50, 2 hrs):
A reference cited by the Health Education Services training, a free 6 hour contact tracing course offered by Johns Hopkins:
Another reference cited by the Health Education Services training, free COVID-19 courses offered by WHO:
This one is probably most applicable: COVID-19 and work: Staying healthy and safe at work during the COVID-19 pandemic
Welcome artists and storytellers: you have taken the first step into your Hollywood Fringe journey. As always, we will soon provide a detailed participant packet to all registered participants but we know you have a big decision to make before that step.
Here are some key facts to help you decide to Fringe, or not to Fringe in 2021
This year’s festival is digitally-driven. At this time all participants must livestream without an in-person audience (with the exception of Registration Type 3: COVID-safe, socially distant outdoor theatre).
- Official Previews: August 5th-10th, 2021
- Opening Night Digital Event: August 11th, 2021
- Festival run: August 12th-29th, 2021
- Awards/Closing Night Digital Event: August 29th, 2021
REGISTRATION TYPES EXPLAINED
1. Livestream from an official HFF venue (in the Fringe Zone)- $175
- This registration type is for those booking a venue in the fringe zone. Venues currently registered under this category can be found here.
- In the event we are able to pivot to a hybrid, live-audience model, this is the only registration type where any indoor in-person audience will be allowed.
- You will work with your chosen venue to create your show schedule.
2. Livestream from any other location (i.e., from home, a venue outside of the zone, etc.) – $225
- You can participate in this registration type from anywhere in the world.
- You can book a venue to livestream outside of the Fringe Zone, livestream from your home, your backyard, or (with permitting/permission) any location you wish. The world is your stage here.
- You can book as many shows during the festival run as you wish, but we recommend that you consider your audience base and book as many shows as you think you can market. We strongly suggest between 3 and 6.
- This registration type is for livestream only. No in-person audience, even in the event HFF is able to safely pivot to a hybrid, live-audience festival model.
3. COVID-safe, socially distant outdoor theatre- $275
** From window display theatre to outdoor COVID-safe immersive work, this category is for those looking to have an audience present in a site-specific outdoor setting. This registration type must take place in the Fringe zone and requires proper permitting and an approved safety plan (following city/county guidelines for COVID safety).
- This registration type is designed for shows performing from a participant-led, location for their specific show, not an outdoor venue hosting multiple shows.
- If any outdoor theatres become available, they will be listed on our venue page and you will need to register with the first registration type “livestream from an official HFF venue.”
4. Workshop/educational experience- $50
- These workshops must be live-streamed and can take place anytime between June 1st, 2021, and August 29th, 2021.
- To schedule a workshop outside of the official festival window email [email protected] after registration.
You will find a step-by-step guide through the registration process here
WHAT WILL A DIGITAL HOLLYWOOD FRINGE FESTIVAL LOOK LIKE?
We are diving into the digital deep end, friends. We know that livestream can be a tricky element. Just like everything with live theatre, things can go wrong, and they very well might. But there is no better community to take this risk alongside, and by livestreaming, we will be able to keep the live energy we all love about theatre.
HFF will make ticketing easy for you, as long as you have uploaded your streaming link to your page, we will make sure your audience has it in their inbox.
When your ticket holder clicks the link, they will be taken to a digital Fringe landing page on their way to your show. This will unify the festival and allow your audience to also feel a part of this grand community
We will have tons of networking, educational and promotional events that you can take advantage of as a HFF participant starting NOW. We will also have a digital Fringe Central to make it easy to gather with your fellow fringers and your audience during the festival.
Check out the full list of 2021 Hollywood Fringe Events here.
COVID SAFETY AT HFF21
As a registered participant, you must follow all local regulations and guidelines through every step of your Fringe process. To help you keep up to date we will keep this page updated with guidelines and best practices provided by the county.
To read more about current health and safety guidelines, please see our COVID-19 participant blog post here.
This year’s Festival is going to be fringier than ever! Join us for some community building, learning and develop those Fringeships! See this comprehensive list of the 2021 Hollywood Fringe digital events.
HFF21 Workshop: Ask A Venue
Town Hall #1 – All About Registration
Saturday, May 1st 12:00pm – 2:00pm | Zoom & Livestreamed to Youtube
HFF21 Workshop: Marketing
Wednesday, June 16th 7:00pm – 9:00pm | Zoom & Facebook Live
HFF21 Workshop: Festival Expectations
Saturday, June 26 12:00 – 2:00pm | Zoom & Facebook Live
HFF21 Workshop: How to Tech Your Fringe Show
Saturday, July 10th 12:00pm – 2:00pm | Zoom & Facebook Live
HFF21 Workshop: Accessibility at the Fringe
Tuesday, July 13th 12:00pm – 2:00pm | Zoom & Facebook Live
Town Hall #2: Welcome to Fringe
Saturday, July 17th 12:00pm – 2:00pm | Zoom & Livestreamed to Youtube
Consent and Conduct in the Fringe: Community Roundtable
Saturday, July 24th 12pm – 2pm | Zoom
DIGITAL COMMUNITY NETWORKING
HFF21 Meet the Staff Networking Event
Wednesday, May 5th 7:00pm – 9:00pm | Zoom
Digital Casting Event #1
Wednesday, May 12th 7:00pm – 9:00pm
HFF21 Speed Networking Event
Wednesday, May 19th 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Wednesday, June 2nd 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Digital Casting Event #2
Saturday, June 12th 12:00pm – 2:00pm
Office Hours #2
Wednesday, June 23rd 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Office Hours #3
Wednesday, July 7th 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Office Hours #4
Wednesday, July 14th 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Office Hours #5
Wednesday, July 21st 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Office Hours #6
Wednesday, July 28th 7:00 – 9:00pm
- Twitter Chat – Friday, June 4th 12:00pm – 1:00pm
- Twitter Chat – Friday, June 18th 7:00pm – 8:00pm
- Twitter Chat – Friday, July 2nd 12:00pm – 1:00pm
- Fringe Cabaret (pre-fest) – Tuesday, July 27th 8:00pm – 9:00pm
- Fringe Cabaret (preview week) – Dates TBD
- Fringe Cabaret (festival run) – Dates TBD
FESTIVAL EVENTS & PARTIES
#HFF21 Office Hours at the Broadwater PlungeAugust 5th & 8th 7:00pm – 10:00pm |The Broadwater Plunge,
Digital Fringe Runway
Begins Wednesday, August 11th 12:00pm, Ends Thursday, August 12th 12:00pm
Digital Opening Night Party
Wednesday August 11th 6:00pm – 8:00pm | Gather
- Digital Awards & Closing Ceremony
Saturday, August 29th 5:00pm – 9:00pm
We are proud to announce the return and expansion of the Fringe Scholarships program!
Created in 2016, the Fringe Scholarships Program exists to expand and diversify the pool of artists producing work at the Hollywood Fringe Festival. The inaugural program offered free registrations to five Hollywood Fringe productions, and has since expanded to include free registration and a $550 stipend towards production costs.
Fringe Scholarships will be awarded to first-time Hollywood Fringe producers who contribute to the ethnic, cultural, racial, intellectually or physically disabled, or LGBTQ+ diversity of the Fringe community.
This year we will award FIFTEEN awards— more than ever before! Our 2020 winners will also roll over their award to this year, making space for a very full and supportive HFF scholarship cohort.
To accommodate the changes our Festival is facing due to COVID-19, a few additional requirements have been added to our program this year.
Applicants (and their production crew/actors) must reside in Los Angeles county.
- All scholarship recipients must produce a minimum of one livestream event filmed at a Hollywood Fringe venue (see our registration announcement for more details on what this year’s Fest will look like, and which venues are available for participation).
Wednesday, April 14, 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm on Zoom
Interested in applying for a Fringe scholarship? During this panel, past scholarship winners, our committee members and Fringe staff will dive into the scholarship application process, what the winners are required to do, and answer all your questions, live! If you cannot attend, a recording of this session will be available on Facebook through the application process!
Want to learn more, sooner? Look at the 2019 informational panel, here.
Our scholarship winners have gone on to win awards such as: Best Solo Performance 2019: Mr. Yunioshi, Short & Sweet Award 2017: Chatter, O-Face Award for Orgasmic Achievement (Most Orgasmic Performance): Yozmit Walker – Do You: Migration of the Monarchs. They’ve gone on to extended runs at various Fringe venues, a run Off-Broadway at the SoHo Playhouse, Second City, and the steps of the California State Capitol Building.
“The program helped my artistic vision blossom. I have grown as an artist and a leader.” – Jennifer Linares, from El Hood de MacPuerco, 2019 Scholarship Winner
“This scholarship allowed us to produce the show for a Los Angeles audience, where we were scouted for the Fringe Encore series at the SoHo Playhouse in NYC. Without this scholarship, we would not be going Off-Broadway!" – Callie Prendiville, from Blamed: An Established Fiction, 2017 Scholarship Winner
An external committee (no Fringe staff opinions) will review applications and make selections considering the following criteria:
- Does the applicant meet the scholarship guidelines?
- How will the scholarship award benefit this producer/production?
- Does this producer/production bring unique artistic experience and/or underrepresented thematic or visual content to the Hollywood Fringe Festival?
This year’s committee is made up of former scholarship winners, BIPOC and artists with disabilities who have participated in past Fringes, and representatives from outside arts organizations whose missions align with the program’s goal of expanding and diversifying the body of work being presented at Fringe.
Visit the Fringe Scholarships page to apply. The deadline is May 3, 2021 at 11:59pm PST. Please share with anyone who you feel may benefit from the program!
Questions? Send them to us at [email protected].
The Hollywood Fringe Festival Team